There are a few simple dishes that cannot be substituted with even the most awesome gourmet dishes....
Vegetable Au Gratin is one of them. The creaminess of white sauce .... the fresh vegetables .... and sinful cheese... Gatinee ( or Au Gratin ) is a classic cooking term which means flashing of dry heat in the surface to give a golden crust. Guilty pleasures of cheating on my diet with the pretext makes me make this things in my cafe ... Bon Appetit - The Cafe....
Vegetable Au gratin
White sauce (béchamel)
Double Cream 50 ml
Cloves 10 nos
Onion 1 nos
Nutmeg 1 pinch
Salt to taste
White pepper powder
Cheese grated for baking 50g
- Heat milk with onion studded with cloves and strain
- Melt butter in a pan and add flour
- Add milk and whisk so that no lumps are formed
- Add the nutmeg and season with salt and white pepper powder
- Finish with double cream
Green peas 50 g
Potato 50 g
- Blanch all vegetables after cutting them into small dices
- Mix all vegetables in the white sauce top with cheese and bake till a golden crust if formed.
All done this golden cheese is too hard to resist.... to hoots to the diet... I DIG IN !!!
Adios ... till we meet again